The purpose of this Request for Applications (RFA) is to competitively award one grant of up to $2 million provided by the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2018 (Public Law 115-141) to allow allied professional organizations to develop a training program for school nutrition personnel that focuses on school food service meal preparation and workforce development.
School Nutrition Training Grant for Allied Professional Organizations funds will assist allied professional organizations in planning, developing, promoting, delivering, and evaluating a workforce development and training initiative to provide skills-based training and technical assistance for school nutrition professionals to strengthen school meals program operators’ competencies, knowledge, and skills within one or more of the eight (8) key functional areas:
- Meal Preparation and Service
- Nutrition and Meal Management
- Marketing, Communication, and Customer Service
- Procurement and Inventory Management
- Financial Management and Accountability
- Personnel Management
- Sanitation, Safety, and Security
- Facility and Property Management
Competition for this grant is open to all national allied professional organizations operating in the United States to which school nutrition professionals are eligible to join as a member, which provides membership representation of school nutrition professionals, and whose mission seeks to further the school nutrition field and the interests of school nutrition professionals. Applicants must provide a 501(c)(3) or 501(c)(4) Determination Letter to indicate nonprofit status, as well as a current copy of the organization’s bylaws that details, at a minimum, the organization’s official name, mission, purpose, requirements for membership, officers’ titles and responsibilities, and organizational structure. Applicants must clearly describe how their organization(s) meets the definition of allied professional organization, as stated above.
Partnerships and Collaborations
Applicants are highly encouraged to collaborate with other allied organizations or other partners during the grant period either informally or formally through a subcontracting agreement. Applicants must include through descriptions of the roles, responsibilities, and duties of such partnering organizations in the application, along with an overview of how the oversight of partner activities will occur. A Letter of Commitment from each partnering organization/affiliate should be submitted with the application.
Partners may include:
- State affiliates belonging to the organization(s)
- Other allied professional associations/organizations
- Training institutes that focus on implementing Child Nutrition Programs
- Training consultants or curriculum development consultants
- Universities, academic institutions
- RFA Release Date: October 26, 2018
- Letter of Intent Due: November 26, 2018
- Application Due Date: 11:59 PM EST on January 28, 2019
- Anticipated Award Date: May 2019